A new cover for Scratch

2012_07_30_16_25_29_477_IMG_0904
The tarpualin was worn and letting in lots of water this rainy summer. Time for a new boat cover.

Here’s the plan

2012_07_30_16_26_32_247_IMG_0047
The tarpualin was worn and letting in lots of water this rainy summer. Time for a new boat cover.

For trailing, we’ll use the main mast as a ridge pole. In the yard, we’ll suspend the cover from the halyards. I sent this sketch of to Acorn Canvas to get an expert opinion. They approved and I ordered: acrylic canvas; webbing; eyelets; shock cord; and thread.

Putting it together

2012_07_30_16_26_47_984_IMG_0905

I ‘offered up’ the fabric to the boat several times in the course of making the cover, marking with tailor’s chalk before bringing it home to cut and sew each stage. Domestic sewing machine with a heavy duty needle did the job nicely.

Done

2012_07_30_16_28_03_954_IMG_0913

Seems to be holding up against the Scottish summer so far.

Advertisements

About Osbert Lancaster

Creating ripples to foster sustainability. Seeking solace & clarity on the sea by sail & oar.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: